Wednesday, August 1, 2007

New Travel Camera.

We're going on vacation in a week and I needed a new digital camera since the old one is broken.

Previously we used a Casio Exilim seven megapixel camera. I liked everything about this camera except for the extreme fragility of the lens mechanism, which frequently jammed and finally gave out altogether -- a failing this line is apparently well known for. I thought for a while to replace it with a new Casio model that features a longer zoom (7x rather than 3x) using a lens mechanism entirely inside the camera (there's no protruding lens at all).

In then end I settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ3, which was somewhat cheaper and offers a 10x zoom, a shorter lens at the wide-angle end (the equivalent of a 28mm lens on a traditional camera) and a larger 3 inch screen. The camera itself is slightly larger than the Casio and the battery life is somewhat less. In addition, the video recording is considerably less compressed than on the Casio, meaning that a 1GB card will hold 10 minutes (as opposed to the Casio's 30 minutes) of high quality video.

I took the camera along on our weekend trip to visit my parents on the East End of Long Island this past weekend. Here is a picture of my daughters skipping off towards their breakfast treat at Pat's Farm Stand in Amagansett. The only change I made from the "snapshot" settings on the camera was to set the color profile to "vivid" in order to mimic the high color saturation I was used to from the Casio.



And here is another image I took, using flash, of some chanterelles we collected by the side of the road (which road, I'm not saying).



Your digital photography tips (especially related to travel) are appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.